Once a month join us to learn about growing vegetables & fruits, raising farm animals, and how to care for your soil. Meet the farmer, or tour a backyard growers garden. Make friends and exchange produce, ideas and smiles! Open to members and visitors.
NOVEMBER FIELD DAY
BLUE BOAT FARM
Saturday 20 November
Melissa Fogarty and her family nurture an amazing urban farm on half an acre at Medowie including fruit trees, chickens and vegetables. They've been using permaculture principles and planting with the moon for the last five years and, until recently, sold their produce at Maitland's Earth Markets.
After barely surviving the drought the year before, the pandemic necessitated a pivot for the family to continue safely selling their food. With an immunocompromised person in the home, Melissa implemented a system of pre-ordering and socially distanced pick ups from the farm gate.
Currently the farm is in the process of an outdoor renovation with both the markets and the farm gate on hold as Melissa makes changes.
Join us on Saturday 20 November for a tour of this amazing garden and find out why it's called Blue Boat Farm!
12.30pm Lunch BYO (optional)
1.15pm "Spotlight on..." our new mini educational series
1.30pm Tour of garden
3.30pm Estimated end of activities (feel free to leave at any time)
Bookings for this event open on Monday 1 November.
Due to COVID restrictions, bookings are limited to current financial members.
If you're not a current member, please visit the Join Us page.
Location details will be provided in your booking confirmation.
This event was previously scheduled for March but had to be cancelled due to weather.
If you were previously booked for this event, it will not carry over.
Please register again.
A NOTE ABOUT COVID
As per current restrictions in NSW, the following rules apply:
* A maximum of 20 visitors can attend (aged 12 or over). Children aged 11 or younger are welcome and are not included in the maximum of 20.
* You must be fully vaccinated or have a valid medical exemption to attend if aged 16 or over.
* Ordering a Members Only ticket and signing on the Attendance Sheet at the event indicates that you would be able to demonstrate your vaccination status or exemption if required.
* All attendees aged 12 or over must be booked into this event prior to the day. Attendees aged 11 or under do not require a booking but we would like to know if they are attending. Please reply to your booking confirmation to advise HOGS of the names and ages of any attendees aged 11 or under.
* Please use the QR code or manual list to check in on arrival.
* Stay home if you are unwell or have visited a potential COVID exposure site
* Please maintain social distancing of at least 1.5 metres.
* Wash or sanitise your hands regularly.
* No sharing of drink or foods.
* Masks are optional but recommended in outdoor environments.
* In the event that you receive a positive test result for COVID or notification of being a close contact and you attended the event since the exposure or while you were infectious, you must notify NSW Health and the HOGS secretary at the earliest opportunity.
ABOUT FIELD DAYS
Field Days Field days are usually held on the 2nd Saturday of each month except January.
Lunch is at 12.30pm, and talks or tours start at 1.15pm. We usually finish by 4pm but you are welcome to leave whenever you like.
What to bring: A folding chair, lunch and drinks, hat and sturdy shoes, produce to swap/share/sell.
Members - free
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, only current financial members are eligible to attend field days. Bookings are compulsory due to limited numbers. BOOK NOW
Wet Weather: Check our Facebook field day event page or tune into 2NURFM 103.7 or 1233 ABC Local Radio for updates on the day.