Ernest Hardes Memorial
In honour of our longest serving and treasured president, Ernest Hardes, the Scholarship offers a Hunter Valley based tertiary student access to on the farm mentoring and short courses in sustainable growing.
Skill up to the value of $2000.00 worth of workshops with your choice of organic farming, permaculture & bee keeping courses.
On the Farm
Hands on learning with two days experience with a free range poultry farm.
Two Year Membership
Join our supportive community and keep learning, with a free two year membership to the Hunter Organic Growers Society!
YOUR LEARNING EXPERIENCE
Choose a combination of up to $1600 in courses at an oustanding biodynamic farm west of Maitland and learn about market gardening from this dynamic duo (with option of additional $400 from below for a Permaculture Design Certificate).
2 days on the farm experience in Mount Vincent. Join this award winning, innovative small family free range poultry operation and gain valuable first hand experience!
A private 2 hour tour with one of the Hunter's most inspiring Permaculture ambassadors, Brett Cooper, at his highly productive one acre demonstration property in the beautiful Karuah Valley NSW.
$400.00 towards your choice of courses from:
- Purple Pear Farm,
- Limestone Permaculture
- and/or Urban Hum (beekeeping).
And a 2 year membership with Hunter Organic Growers Society!
Ernest ‘Ern’ Hardes was a long term founding member of Hunter Organic Growers Society. Sadly he passed away in 2017.
Ern was so knowledgeable and always willing to help solve a gardening problem or to share some growing advice. His passion to ‘grow new gardeners’ is being recognised with the introduction of this scholarship in his name (and on the 40th birthday of Hunter Organic Grower’s Society).
WHO CAN APPLY
• Aged 18 to 30 years
• Currently undertaking studies at a registered training organisation in the area of Horticulture, Agriculture or a related field.
• Currently residing in the Hunter Region (Local government areas of Lake Macquarie, Newcastle, Cessnock, Maitland, Port Stephens, Singleton, Muswellbrook, Upper Hunter, Dungog.)
• Interested in learning more about organic growing
• Currently facing barriers that may impact on your ability to finance further learning (this adversity will be kept confidential).